This page is no longer active

Da Blog has moved to MorganWick.com. Please update your bookmarks, links, and RSS readers.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

OMG! It's football season! Our lives have meaning!

Who cares about those amateur college scrubs? THE league of record in America is the National Football League, and Da Blog and Morgan Wick's football site is ready with complete team coverage there as well!

Start with the NFL Lineal Title; as I said last week, it's analogous to the college football lineal titles, but because of the NFL's schedule structure there's rarely more than one at a time, and never more than two. I need to explain something that I forgot to make clear last week: Split titles in the college football lineal title arise from teams going undefeated, or winning the BCS Title Game (which is why LSU gets a new lineal title this year despite not going undefeated). Obviously, it's exceedingly rare for an NFL team to go undefeated, so what happens instead is that split titles are created when the title holder doesn't make the playoffs. Obviously, that's rather rare as well, and the Patriots nabbed the lineal title on their march to an almost-perfect season, so the Giants start the season with the title this year and will defend it against Washington tonight on NBC.

Speaking of which, starting Week 3 or 4, I'll start my weekly SNF Flex Schedule Watch, which was perhaps the prime contributor of traffic to Da Blog last year, before it was taken over by webcomics. I correctly predicted the Week 12, 14, 15, and 17 games that were moved to primetime as part of NBC's flexible scheduling, only missing Weeks 11, 13, and 16. I had thought I did the Flex Schedule Watch on Tuesdays last year, but it was actually a Wednesday feature last year so it's a Wednesday feature this year.

There is a third concept that I used last year: the "SuperPower Rankings", my experiment in creating a set of "super-power rankings" from the power rankings produced by the eight leading sports sites (ESPN, CBS, Fox, NBC, SI, Yahoo, USA Today, and Sporting News - Yahoo produced two rankings). It proved to be way too much work, so I'm not doing it this year, but I leave the concept open for someone else to pick up the gauntlet.

No comments: