This page is no longer active

Da Blog has moved to MorganWick.com. Please update your bookmarks, links, and RSS readers.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Now THIS is how you pimp your book!

(From The Order of the Stick. Click for full-sized sexy context.)

If I commented every time OOTS moved me to comment on a strip you could use my webcomic label to find out whenever there was a new strip, so I try to shy away from doing that.

But the last two panels of this strip? I'm going to reiterate what I said on the strip's forums: Best. Recap strip. EVER.

Also, while I'm here, I'd like to take this opportunity to comment on a tendency I've noticed on the OOTS forums to treat the events of the two prequel books, especially the more recent and more revolutionary (for lack of a better word) Start of Darkness, as virtually common knowledge. Granted, part of that is me looking at the spoiler tags that contain the prequel-rooted information, but many people seem (or at least seemed in the past) to base predictions on the events of the prequel books, while forgetting that Rich is on record as saying the prequels are not necessary to enjoy the overall story.

In that context, I'd like to take a brief look at the previous strip, and suggest that Rich may have erred, "prequels not necessary to enjoy the story" or otherwise. The cliffhanger only really has resonance for someone who has read On the Origin of PCs or has had relevant parts already spoiled for him or her. For someone in neither category, they may be able to infer that the Thieves' Guild is bad news and may even be able to draw a connection to Haley from the accompanying caption, but that's probably too much thought to really go "dun dun DUN!!!"

Still, for this bounce-back? If the Eric Burns of 2004-2006 were here, he'd give this man a biscuit of some virtual variety.

No comments: