This page is no longer active

Da Blog has moved to MorganWick.com. Please update your bookmarks, links, and RSS readers.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Absolutely amazing final. Now that that's over, something completely different.

Two things. I mentioned before that I conceived of Da Blog as a series of sub-blogs, but regardless of which sub-blogs you follow, you should probably also follow the blog news tag, because it will often have things pertaining to all other tags. I'll also use "blog news" to herald the introduction of new tags you might like, like this "sports tv graphics" one.

I know a lot of people don't like ESPN's attempt to create a strip or banner at the top of the screen for a score display for tennis coverage; it's rather non-intuitive. But everything is strips these days - the only networks that still use a box for ANY sport, not counting tennis, are CBS for football and TNT for basketball. And tennis doesn't lend itself well to a strip; even after importing its post-"Sunday Night Football" broadcast package, NBC still uses a box for tennis, and so does its corporate sibling USA, and so does CBS, and so does the Tennis Channel.

Well, I've stumbled upon (no, this is not the Random Discovery of the Week) the BBC's Wimbledon graphics package, and I believe I may have a solution. You can kind of make it out in this video (which is not the same as the one I've linked to):


It's a box, but it may contain the key to creating a workable tennis strip. I've created a mock-up based on ESPN's graphics package:

I would probably want to make the space for the score longer, because "DEUCE" doesn't fit in that space and I might want to say something like "AD FEDERER" rather than what ESPN does now, which is just "AD" and highlighting whoever has the advantage. And I forgot to include any indication of who's serving. Break points, set points, match points, and the like would be indicated by a small banner slipping down underneath the strip. I don't know what I would do for tiebreaks. My guess is either have another little banner fall beneath the strip, similar to what would be done for statistics, or shift over the spaces for sets and games and add a new space. Or separate both sets and games into their own clearly delineated spaces and simply open up a new space to the left of the others for the tiebreak. But that breaks the implied sets-games-points hierarchy.

Thoughts? Ways my idea could be improved? Or am I so off base I need to be whacked with a two-by-four before my abominations become accepted?

No comments: