This page is no longer active

Da Blog has moved to Please update your bookmarks, links, and RSS readers.

Friday, April 6, 2007

Sports Watcher for the weekend of 4/7-8

All times PDT.

12:30-3 PM: MLS Soccer, Colorado at DC United (ABC). Finally, the MLS season opener doesn't compete with the Final Four pre-show. Of course, now it's up against the first round of the Masters...

4-7 PM: College Hockey, Michigan State v. Boston College (ESPN). The third-biggest championship the NCAA administers. Of course, it's light years behind even women's college basketball and isn't really that far from last place.

7-10 PM: Ultimate Fighting Championship, UFC 69 (PPV). I could write reams on why UFC is whipping boxing's ass right now, but I'll save them for a later date. (But a word of advice: If you want to become really mainstream and not elicit comparisons to illegal cagefighting or pro wrestling, dump the steel cage. I don't know of any fighting organization of any kind that doesn't use anything more than the classic ropes.)

11:30-4 PM: PGA Golf, The Masters Final Round (CBS). You know, if that Tiger Woods gets a few more major wins, maybe, one day, if he's really lucky, he'll be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

5-8 PM: MLB Baseball, Boston @ Texas (ESPN). Even though Curt Schilling will be Boston's starter, we'll still be caught up in Dice-K mania.

Next weekend: Hot NHL playoff action! (cue crickets)

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Sigh... this never ends

99% of the time, I'm a - well, not nice guy, but certainly not an absolutely terrible one. 99% of the time, I go on with life just fine, doing work and my own things, and don't really cross other people the way they sometimes cross me.

The remaining 1% of the time, though, seems to completely overwhelm the remaining 99%.

What is going on here? If college expects everyone to act absolutely perfect all the time, how is it even possible for anyone to leave high school not perfect? If high school and lower levels aren't to make people perfect, and can easily shepherd imperfect people along past it, shouldn't college recognize that and not assume that everyone is going to act perfect all the time?

Not as though either level should be in the business of teaching social mores, but if there are going to be people who are coming in without the requisite social mores then, at some level, there needs to be a class in social mores. If school is going to teach those things instead of academic topics, they should at least be upfront about it.

And if Asperger's syndrome numbers are really on the rise, not just a result of better diagnoses (and maybe even if it is, since that would mean millions of people have been treated inappropiately to their reality), you need to be ready. Everyone needs to be ready.

What were my parents thinking when they didn't indoctrinate me? Or brainwash me as the case may be? Never assume anyone is going to take the burden off your shoulders, or that anything is going to happen "naturally".

Sometimes I'll act out how I feel about certain people's idiocy. But if it's that extreme you've embarrassed yourself already. The chances aren't any worse than it otherwise would, it just might have a little more punch.

I'm done ranting, but believe me, you haven't heard the last of me...